Handprint and Footprint Potholders



I didn't have any potholders so I thought it would be neat to place my son's handprints and footprints on some plain ones. I found some at the dollar store- $1 for both and already had black fabric paint (found in any craft section or craft store). This was actually harder than I thought. My 1st mistake was not paying attention to the little loop for hanging the potholder. Thankfully, I wasn't planning to display these! If you are planning to display them when they are not in use or want them just as a decoration, be sure to make sure the loop is at the top before pressing on the print. I made the hand one first. There were a lot of gaps when I lifted his hands so I went back later and filled them in. Not wanting to have the same problem with the footprints, I gooped on the fabric paint on his feet. This was mistake number 2! I put too much on his right foot and it ended up bulging out on the edges making the outline not clear and a lot bigger than it should have been. It also oozed out in between the toes making the toe prints not turn out very well. Overall, the potholders turned out okay- we learn from our mistakes! These would make a great gift for Grandma!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Going to do this for Christmas Gifts

Anna said...

This is cute! Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

i love the idea.

Anonymous said...

Not only is this the CUTEST idea, but thanks so much for sharing your 'mistakes'!! That is so helpful!!

Anonymous said...

I trace the kid's hands on denim iron on patches and put them on the pot holders. I then put their name and year on with a marker.

artsy_momma said...

That sounds so cute! Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Allyson :) said...

i love this... such a great idea. thanks

Anonymous said...

Do you have to do anything special to the pot holders to get the paint to stick to it and stay after a few washes?

artsy_momma said...

I have found that both fabric paint like Tulip Slick Paint stays on fine through all the times I have washed things :)

Anonymous said...

Does the fabric paint wash off easily? I want to do this next week with my 2nd graders to give as gifts when Grandparents come to school but not sure how clean-up will go with 22 kiddos! :)

Jessica said...

So cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts