Christmas Footprint Penguin Plate

I made this Christmas Plate Keepsake with my son the other day featuring a Footprint Penguin Santa. The plate from Dollar Tree. I used black, white, red, and yellow Folk Art Enamel Paint . Please note that acrylic paint will scratch easily whereas enamels paints will not. Make sure your work area is covered and that no one is wearing anything that you would be upset about if it got ruined since these types of paints are permanent.


Start by making a black footprint on the plate and set aside to dry. Then, add on the details keeping in mind that the heel is the penguin's head. I used his fingerprints for the white parts of the Santa hat and the eyes. After it completely dried, I sprayed it with a protective sealant spray.



*UPDATE* I was just reading a comment someone had left and it brought up a good point that I forgot to mention (Thank you Katie!). This plate is for display only and can not be eaten off of. I was told by a friend that the only way it can be eaten off of is by firing it in a kiln. I have made mugs in the past, but was careful not to put the paint in a spot where it will touch the lips while drinking.  I also did not use the sealant on the mugs. Please see my previous post about painting with enamels. It includes a direct link to Michael's (where I bought mine) with a detailed description of the instructions found on the back of the paint.

I made a footprint lion plate awhile back and bought a little stand to hold the plate.... I removed this one for the time being so I could display this ADORABLE penguin plate.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh! That is so cute! I'm going to start looking for a plate so I can do something similar. I love it!

The girl who painted trees said...

Very cute:)

Free Samples said...

Very cute! Awesome craft for kids :)

jenjen said...

That is so cute. What a fun idea to make with the kids. Mine would love it!

Thanks for linking up!

XOOX
Jen

Katie said...

What a cute idea, I love the idea of making a reusable treat plate. I wonder if you can eat off of it, is the sealer food safe or it more of a display plate? Either way very cute and fun gift idea the grandmas would love it.

Twincess Mommy said...

I just made 4 of these, a little differently since I couldn't print this out to copy. Can I post this on one of my blogs to link back to you?

artsy_momma said...

Link backs to my posts are always welcome- I love inspiring others!

lovemythree said...

I love this idea, and was thinking how it's too bad that it is a seasonal decoration that will likely only come out once a year. Then a new idea occurred to me..I'm going to do it for my mom, from my kids...and make 4 different ones for her. One for each of the seasons :) I hope it's ok that I got my creature ideas from your blog...Spring: foot print butterfly, Summer: hand print fish, Fall: hand print Turkey, Winter: foot print penguin. Then give her a decorative plate stand w/the gift so she can change the plates out when the seasons change :) Hoping it turns out well

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts