In an effort to calm his nerves and get him excited, I showed him photos via Facebook of his cousins 1st day of school which was this past week. One of them is the same age as him and it did make him feel a lot better after he saw how huge their smiles were. I also messaged a mommy friend and asked her if her son who went to kindergarten at the same school he will be attending to talk with him about it. Her son is excited to tell him all about it. I am hoping that he will feel better after he does the 'Meet & Greet' with his new teacher and gets to tour his new school.
We also searched for craft ideas for the big day and also for ones that go with the cute book called The Kissing Hand - a must read for anyone with younger kids! Here are some of our favorites including some ideas for the teachers who read our blog to save for upcoming years. Stay tuned to see what art projects we end up making!
- Handprint Crayon Box - Sweet & Lovely Crafts
- Handprint Angry Birds First Day Keepsake - Juggling with Kids
- 1st Day Memory Book - Our Aussie Homeschool
- Welcome Wreath made with Handprints - Rainbows Within Reach
- First Day Time Capsule Craft - The First Grade Parade
- Back to School Poem/Free Printable - Homeschool Parent
- 1st Day of School Poem - In the Land of Kindergarten
- Kindergarten Keepsake Boxes - Sacred Heart School
- First Day Friendship Wreath - Preschool Playbook
- 1st Day of School Puzzle Craft & Keepsake with Poem - A to Z Teacher Stuff
- Handprint & Poem for The Kissing Hand Book - The Hundred Languages of Children
- The Kissing Hand Bento - Bento-olgy
- Art Project to go along with The Kissing Hand - Mamas Like Me
- Sweet Lunch Box Note Idea - The Perkins Family
- The Kissing Hand Necklace/Crafts/TPT Freebie - First Grade Blue Skies
- The Kissing Hand Hand-y I Love You Message - Momstown
- Back to School with The Kissing Hand round up #1 - this blog
*This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure policy here.
What things have you done in the past to help your children through their 1st day of school jitters? If you are a teacher, what things have become your yearly 1st day routine or other ways you helped calm a student's nerves? Please share in the blog comments so that others can get ideas & tips - related links to past projects are also welcome.